Subject: Re: Agenda suggestion [was Phone call tomorrow (4 October)]

Dear Sazi,

Peter and I want to propose the following in respect of your "3PC" discussion.

We are quite firmly opposed to modifying the fundamental process by which the transaction outcome is decided. In other words we think that 2PC has the right number of messages to achieve a coordinated decision. We agree with Mark Little on that point. However, we can see value in the following, which may align with your concern:

Add a parameter to CONFIRMED called "report hazard [or whatever we called it on REQUEST_CONFIRM]" which can be T/F.

If the Superior is prepared to take this hint (it need not do so), it will attempt to send a new message FINAL_OUTCOME with a contained HAZARD (if there was one), or with no contents (if the final outcome equalled the decided/intended outcome).

It is up to the Superior how this value is arrived at. Should the information reflect the state of the entire tree, or only the immediate Superior's branch? Should the Superior be allowed to ignore "unimportant" failures? That is a matter for the implementation/application configuration, and need not be dealt with in the spec.

We can certainly survey current issues (we will try to send a summary out before the call).

Yours,

Alastair

Sazi Temel wrote:

Alastair,

I would suggest we go over the current issues (if any) related to spec that Peter, Alex and you might bring before we discuss my suggestion. I think I have been pretty clear what I am suggesting and my position in my original e-mail and my reply to Mark Little. I would be happy to clarify any questions people might have.. and am ready to be convinced! In fact, I will respectfully accept not to discuss the issue at all if majority of people on call suggest so - assuming everybody had chance to read what has been suggested and Mark's comments.

Regards,
--Sazi