Subject: RE: Marketing and publicity

Mark,

I don't disagree with your comments, but the majority of specs that have
gained adoption or consensus in the industry have had supporting "primer"
like documentation.

Regards,
Mark Potts
Chief Technology Officer
Talking Blocks
www.talkingblocks.com

t. 415 255 7424
f. 415 255 7425
c. 415 606 9096
e. mailto:mark.potts@talkingblocks.com

From: Mark Little [mailto:mcl@arjuna.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 3:40 AM
To: Alastair Green; OASIS BT TC

> In our view the greatest aid to market acceptance of BTP would be a
> standardized Java API, which would immediately help intuitive
> understanding and remove fear of usage complexity.

And the fact that we have an adopted specification!

> The spec addresses the needs of implementers, and not of the user
> community, which is inevitable for an interop spec. The likely community
> of implementers is narrow, and presumably able to handle the
> "complexity".

In an email I sent as a reply to Mark Potts, and which didn't make it to the
list, I said that the specification is *not* a user manual. It should never
be aimed as such. I would not want people to learn about transactions or how
to use the OTS from the OMGs OTS specification. It's simply too much hard
work. People need to be able to differentiate between a specification and an
end-user manual.

> We view such an API as outside the scope of this OASIS BTP TC, as
> currently constituted, and not really the type of thing OASIS
> specializes in anyway, I suspect.

Agreed.

Mark.

Dr. Mark Little
Transactions Architect, HP Arjuna Labs
Email: mark@arjuna.com | mark_little@hp.com
Phone: +44 191 2064538
Fax  : +44 191 2064203

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Potts;Mark
FN:Mark Potts (E-mail)
ORG:Talking Blocks
TITLE:Chief Technology Officer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(415) 255-7424
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(415) 606-9096
TEL;WORK;FAX:(415) 255-7425
ADR;WORK:;San Francisco;10 United Nations Plaza, Suite 610;San Francisco;CA;94102;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:San Francisco=0D=0A10 United Nations Plaza, Suite 610=0D=0ASan Francisco, CA=
 94102=0D=0AUnited States of America
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:mark.potts@talkingblocks.com
REV:20010412T180824Z
END:VCARD