Subject: RE: [business-transaction] SOAP Bindings Stuff

Jim

I don't entirely agree with this and we need to be very careful here from an
interoperability perspective  - if you look at the ebXML and RossetttaNet
standards even though SOAP literal and RPC style were available they have
maintained the document style for good reason...

Besides the business process protocol standards the document style is also
very much a Microsoft position  -and one I think the rest will follow or
have already adopted. SOAP’so greatest value is for interoperability, and
section 5 tends to make out that SOAP encoding allows for tighter type
definition, which is not true ( you can define types in the XSD for the SOAP
literal, and even more validation rules). I think that everyone will come
round to XML messaging and use literal-style SOAP. Ina previous meeting
James Tauber, Mark Hale and myself had this very discussion and concluded
document style was the way to go. RPC mechanism makes little sense to me as
the objects themselves that are passed are only a container for the public
state of an object (no behaviour), so why not simply make it a document that
can be defined through schema and validated.

Adding Microsoft to the supporting cast here is a little false and reflects
Microsoft's forward looking strategy in my opinion, but the reality is they
are in line with everyone else bad that makes for good interop. Looking at
Section 5, it was meant to standardise the RPC encoding mechanism such that
a Microsoft Client or Server could communicate with a Java Server or Client
, both making RPC call locally and Proxy's and Listeners marshalling the XML
to and from local object structures. The reason Microsoft have jumped on the
document style however can be seen from statements they have made recently:
"if you just need to call methods on remote objects over the Web, consider
using your platform’s RPC mechanism instead of SOAP". The reason for this is
that .NET removing can use a binary serialization and operate over HTTP
whether it’s using SOAP or the binary format.

Having said that the literal gives you about 90% of what you need, its just
that you have to have a gateways in and out of domains that allow RPC
invocation on one side and messaging on the other - and for that we have a
role called the Communicator!

Cheers