Subject: Re: [business-transaction] Tentative Hold Protocol?

Hi Karl,

Tentative Hold Protocol was submitted as a note to W3C on 28 November by
Intel. We've briefly examined and discussed it at Choreology -- the
following observations are preliminary and very likely incorporate some
level of misunderstanding or wrong assumptions.

THP could be viewed as a sub-set of BTP functionality. It defines a
combination of message formats and client and server side components and
their behaviour, allowing business rules to be applied to the granting or
refusing or cancellation or expiration of "holds" (expressions of interest
in inventory). It is purely focused on SOAP/HTTP and, from a business
perspective, angled towards procurement. BTP is more general, subsumes the
THP behaviour, and is suitable for a wider range of applications and carrier
protocols.

A key difference between the two protocols is that BTP is a pure
interoperation protocol, and makes no statements about how the
implementation will be built or accessed, whereas THP combines an interop
protocol with (in my view, unnecessary) statements about how the messages
should be interpreted or dealt with by particular agents. THP also bundles
application messages with THP headers within a SOAP body, causing a hardwire
to a particular message format for the application. This makes it less
suitable for wrapping or mapping down to existing application protocols than
BTP.

We in Choreology have recently been doing a lot of practical market
research, in the form of conversations with potential end-users of our
Cohesions product and explorations of numerous use cases in different
verticals. One thing that has emerged over and again is that flexibility in
terms of underlying carrier or application or trading protocol is a key
requirement for cross-departmental or inter-org integration/trading, and
investment protection.

I find THP a very interesting and thought-provoking stab at part of the same
problem as BTP. Yes, there is overlap, no there is not duplication. The
Intel authors reference BTP and TIP as possible complements to THP.

Alastair

"Karl F. Best" wrote:

> BTP'ers:
>
> I've recently heard about a Note that has been submitted to W3C called
> Tentative Hold Protocol, which appears to overlap or duplicate the work
> that the BTP TC is doing. Does anyone know anything about this Note, or
> the work that it describes, and how it relates to BTP? Could you fill me
> in?
>
> </karl>
begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair
tel;cell:+44 795 841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207 670 1785
tel;work:+44 207 670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;13 Austin Friars=0D=0A;London;;EC2N 2JX;
fn:Alastair Green
end:vcard