Subject: [business-transaction] FW: OASIS [chairs] Kavi status update

Some information from OASIS on tools they/we are adopting to help
manage the TCs.

Regards,
=bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 1:19 PM
To: chairs
Subject: [chairs] Kavi status update

Chairs:

Here's an update on the status of the Kavi system implementation.

I had mentioned previously
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200212/msg00000.html) that
OASIS was considering this system, and invited you to attend an
orientation session that we conducted in Baltimore at the XML 2002
conference. At that session a representative from Kavi gave a
presentation on the Kavi system functionality, and we got some good
feedback from those present that we will use to enhance the system to
make it easier for TC chairs to perform their duties.

OASIS and Kavi are now starting the implementation of this system. Kavi
is beginning to install software on OASIS servers, and the development
of the OASIS TC Process specific functionality is well under way.

While we don't have a detailed schedule completed, we anticipate that
launch of the system will occur by early March. A short time before that
date we will require the assistance of the TC chairs in entering
TC-specific information into the system. In particular, once OASIS staff
has entered in the names of all OASIS members, we will need to the TC
chairs to specify who the members of the TC are. This implies, of
course, that you know who the members of your TC are, so I'd like to ask
that you give this matter a little extra attention over the coming weeks
so that when the time comes you have a complete, accurate list. We will
also need the TC chairs or secretaries to enter other TC information
such as meeting schedules, current charter, etc.

Kavi will be providing us with training materials specific to the TC
chairs and secretaries, which we will be passing on to you. The training
will include online documentation, a web-based training session, and
possibly a f2f training session. It has been suggested that the XML Web
Services conference in Santa Clara the week of 3 March might be a good
venue for OASIS and Kavi to conduct a f2f training session as OASIS
already has a number of activities scheduled that week. If there are
sufficient numbers of TC chairs and/or secretaries available that week
then we'll set this up. Please let me know if you or one of the other
officers of your TC would be able to attend that week, and which day(s)
would be best for you.

One other related note: In the next week or so OASIS will be sending out
an RFP to its members for the development of a registry to store TC
status information, specifications, and glossary entries. The purpose of
this registry is to promote collaboration between our various TCs and
also eventually between our TCs and the TCs and WGs or other
organizations through the sharing of information. This registry will be
separate from the Kavi system but linked with the Kavi system so that TC
status information and documents only need to be entered in a single
location.

-Karl