Subject: Re: [business-transaction] RE: [business-transaction-comment] Public Comment

> > I agree that convergence is a good idea.
> > But in my book that doesn't necessarily imply a single protocol.
>
> I understand.  If I paraphrase correctly, the gist of our argument is
> about how to achieve convergence:
> * a framework that accomodates multiple protocols with mappings between
> them, or
> * a standard set of messages that accommodate multiple implementations.
>
> Or, I suppose, some combination of both...

Yes, I agree.

> > Although (and only history will tell) I think
> > from the feedback we've gotten from public and private supporters
> > gives us some glimmer of hope that WS-CAF will be able
> > to compete well with the IBSoft approach.
>
> That's interesting from a software vendor perspective, but I think
> business users would prefer competition on implementations of one
> standard protocol.  And as you write, history will tell.

I know, but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and some players
don't want to play with our football ;-)

> >> * I know each of those initiatives does more than loosely-coupled
> >> business transactions.
> >
> >> ** If need be, I'll figure out how to write the details behind that
> >> statement without naming names.
> >

> > One of your * should be a **. Presumably the second one?
>
> Yes, thanks.  Should have been:
>
> > When I see a series of initiatives trying to fill the same business
> > transaction space (RosettaNet, ebXML BPSS, UNCEFACT BCF, BTP, WS-T,
> > WS-TXM*), and they can all be united into one protocol, and the
> > confusion of business transaction protocols is impeding commercial
> > adoption**, I think it's time for convergence.
>
> P.S. you mentioned a reply to Peter, but I haven't seen it come thru.
> Did you send it to the public list?

Yes, it went to the comments list a few minutes after the initial response
to yours. The OASIS lists are as reliable as ever because when I checked a
while ago there hadn't been any update to them for days!

Mark.

----
Mark Little,
Chief Architect, Transactions,