Subject: Re: [ws-caf] discussion on approaches for web services/ business transaction

> > BTW, I'm happy to continue this discussion,
> > but the previous email is just a heads-up that
> > a) my responsiveness will be much impaired over the next couple of
> weeks, and
> > b) I think the BTP list (or private email) is a more appropriate
> discussion forum.
>
> I think the BTP list is more appropriate, too.
> I thought you were the one who suggested ws-caf?

I honestly can't remember.

> > Robert, I get the distinct feeling we are going round in circles. You
> > have yet to prove that a single protocol is suffice for all
> > situations. BP doesn't say that it should be used in all situations
> > and that isn't the case for WS-TXM.
>
> If you check, I have always been careful to qualify my situation as
> "loosely coupled external transactions".
>
> And in my last message below, I focused in even more on participants,
> not coordinators.

I shouldn't do this because I really have to write some slides ;-)

However, ... if you go back through my emails you'll see I have always been
talking about participants in the main anyway. The argument still exists and
is based on our experiences of both approaches: a definite participant
interface that explicitly specifies protocol and semantics has proven better
than *only* having an abstract one. And once again, we're not saying *don't*
have an abstract (neutral, or whatever) message set, only that it shouldn't
be the only protocol that's supported: experience has shown that that
doesn't work and isn't what many in the industry want. (OK, that last part
is subjective, because you can probably say that the people you've talked to
want the opposite, but then that just goes to show that one-size doesn't fit
all!)

> And you didn't respond to any of my actual message, just fended it off
> with a non seq.

It wasn't a response, more of an "I'm not ignorning you, but ..."

> I don't know if it's worth continuing our dialog, maybe we should just
> do that "agree to disagree" number...

Possibly. I do find it interesting, having been through both paths to get
where we currently are, but I don't see this as a religious discussion like
"Macs versus PCs" ;-) I think that the fact we are having this discussion
shows that there's may not be enough experience to say how things will
evolve over the coming years from a user's perspective, so we need to do
something that doesn't back us (the industry) into a corner from which is
can't extricate itself. Hence the approach WS-CAF or WS-C/T takes makes
sense purely from a pragmatic standpoint.

Mark.

----
Mark Little,
Chief Architect, Transactions,