Subject: btp issue ex-8 - proposed resolution

ex-8 is the one about a btp-aware service declaring its btp-awareness by some means

I had a look at the OASIS specifications for "policy" that were mentioned on the call when we discussed this - thanks to Doug and Martin for the pointers. I think it might be possible to create a statement/assign a uri that could be used in XACML WSPL and also in WS-Policy (or its open successors). It might  be possible to use this in the features and properties with compositor that WS-Reliability uses.

However, although it might be possible to do this, I don't think BTP's edition 1.1 is the place to try this. The area is clearly in flux, and I wouldn't like to try to define a "universal" statement, usable in any of these, without some hand-holding from experts in the particular policy declaration mechanisms. This is our last open issue on BTP 1.1, and it could easily take a long time and a lot of going round the loop to sort this out. We could perhaps treat it as an independent item, as part of the continuing maintenance activity.

Accordingly, I propose that we close ex-8 without change to the document.

Peter

Peter Furniss
Chief Scientist, Choreology Ltd
web: http://www.choreology.com <http://www.choreology.com/>