bws-discuss message

Subject: RE: Feasability of creating the Biometric Web Services TC

Thanks Ross

That is a fair and reasonable decision under the circumstances and follows a well trodden precedent.

Cheers

Colin

From: Micheals, Ross J. [mailto:ross.micheals@nist.gov]
Sent: Saturday, 4 December 2010 9:58 a.m.
To: bws-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear colleagues:

OASIS procedure requires that TC discussion lists are open for only 90 days. The “bws-discuss” list closes on December 20th. The list has over 45 subscribers, yet there has been little discussion regarding the proposed charter.

This leaves us with an important decision to make.

I understand that being an active member of a TC requires commitment of resources. Based on a wide variety of conversations I’ve had “off-line” I can safely say that a lack of discussion does not reflect a lack of interest.

NIST is committed to providing an open specification for controlling biometric sensors via web services. (We have been calling this “WS-Biometric Devices” internally.) Given this, I propose that we postpone the creation of an OASIS Biometric Web Services committee. The NIST Biometric Web Services team will continue to work on a formal specification of “WS-Biometric Devices,” releasing drafts for public comment as we go. Such a specification might become the basis for future OASIS work, much like the CBEFF work started as a NIST Interagency Report (IR) and was eventually evolved into an ISO standard.

I appreciate those of you who have expressed interest in the proposed TC. I’d also like to thank Robin Cover and Mary McRae from OASIS for their assistance over the past few weeks.

In the meantime, the NIST BWS team will remain active participants in the OASIS BIAS TC. We are working hard on providing a reference implementation, and are making great strides with the help of the committee.

Keep your eyes on bws.nist.gov for updates and details.

Respectfully,

Dr. Ross J. Micheals

--

Ross J. Micheals

http://www.nist.gov/cgi-bin/wwwph/cso.nist.gov?Query=Ross+Micheals

====
CAUTION:  This email message and any attachments contain information that may be confidential and may be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Thank you.
====