cacao message

Subject: Re: [cacao] Use of Other Standards

I think OpenC2 is definitely going to be an option for the command-and-control side of the playbook, but I do not think it can be mandatory. The C&C side has to remain a bit more agnostic to operationalize CACAO in the near term as OpenC2 is not widely adopted yet.

We also need to remember that not all C&C is M2M (it is also M2H and H2M) so we have to remain open.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson

From:        duncan sfractal.com <duncan@sfractal.com>
To:        "cacao@lists.oasis-open.org" <cacao@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        09/17/2019 03:49 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [cacao] Use of Other Standards
Sent by:        <cacao@lists.oasis-open.org>

Arnaud proposes âwe are going to have to spend quite some time on the gap analysisâ in response to my comment that we should make use of other standards where possible. I disagree. I think we should use them when we know of them and if someone in the TC brings it to the attention of the group. I wouldnât object to people doing gap analysis but I do not think itâs a necessary prerequisite and I do not think we should slow down to do such a gap analysis. But if there are existing standards, particularly from OASIS, then I think we should at least allow for their use.

Wrt âsomeone in the TC brings it to the attention of the groupâ, I would particularly like to bring up OpenC2 (https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/openc2/) for the command and control of security technology (eg machine-to-machine atomic actions). The OpenC2 TC recently approved 3 Committee Specifications for the OpenC2 language, one particular actuator, and one particular transport mechanism. Clearly more actuators and more transport specs are needed (and are in preparation) but itâs also likely the language isnât perfect and will need to add something for CACAO use cases. As TC cochair of the OpenC2 TC, I can commit to working with the CACAO TC to fill in any gaps in the OpenC2 Specification so that hopefully OpenC2 can meet the âatomic actionâ needs of CACAO. I am not saying OpenC2 has to be the exclusive C2 mechanism (albeit I wouldnât object to it either) â just that it be one of the mechanisms.

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/