cacao message

Subject: How best to do multiple actions

All,

I want to kick off a discussion about how best to encapsulate multiple atomic actions in a security playbook.  From my perspective there are at least two different ways this could be doneâ.

1) The actions and the sequencing is kept together. In this model, we would define any temporal / conditional logic and any required response codes along with the action itself, or in-line with the JSON structure for that action. Something like:

Action ID: 1234
Remove Registry Key
Require Success
If Failure send alert and stop

Action ID: 5678
Delete File
Require Success
Require Success of Action ID 1234
If Failure send alert and stop

2) The actions and the sequencing / logic are separate from one another.  In this model you could have a small library of commands and then a processing instructions in another part of the JSON

Action ID: 1234
Remove Registry Key

Action ID: 5678
Delete File

Action ID: 9876
Email Change Control

Action Logic
	First do 1234
	Second do 5678 but only if 1234 is successful
	Third do 9876 but only if 5678 is successful
	etc.

This is not meant to say we are doing one of these two methods, but rather, this is meant to be a way to start the discussion.

Bret