cacao message

Subject: Re: [cacao] Remaining work items

Bret -

a) The writeup that I did on meta data remains open on adding to the spec or not as far I can tell from the last call.

b) The proposed feature on functionality is not yet completely specified. Whether we make it required or optional, it is missing a lot of the meta-data attribution/classificaiton information that the feature allows a user to specify. So at this very moment the proposal is not ready to add to the spec regardless of required/optional.

c) Adding this functionality feature brings in a lot of work upon playbook authors to define such functionality instead of focusing on the mechanics of defining a playbook in the 1st place. From my perspective it is a significant increase in the burden to do for every playbook and Iâm not convinced all use cases will rely on it or want to have to do it. Therefore I was willing to support its inclusion in the spec (which it HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED) provided it is optional. However, if the proponents insist that this feature be required then I will say that the entire feature SHOULD NOT BE ADDED to the spec at all.

Iâm a firm supporter of proving value in the marketplace and making the barrier to entry for using playbooks very low and easy. If an optional feature (any of them) gets used reliably and well in the marketplace then the outcome is the same.

The idea that a spec can force people to do something they donât want to do is a fallacy. And increasing the complexity of CACAO playbooks even more than they already have is a mistake that will only result in the entire project being undermined.

Allan