cacao message

Subject: Re: [cacao] [EXT] [cacao] Remaining work items

Hi Dez - Your suggestion "I suggest that the TC reconsider the term âtargetâ as well as consider whether both target and actuator should be defined.â Was exactly what we had discussed on a call that I attended where we went over the attack framework.

Basically the term âtargetâ in cacao has been used to represent both a system that executes a command as part of action and also the target of an attack being executed by a system executing an attack simulation against the target. Command is the thing that executes on that target.

So in my mind

Cacao target == OpenC2 Actuator
Cacao command == OpenC2 Target
Cacao action == a combined instruction (with logic) that may define Cacao target or list of +Cacao command. There is no equivalent (I believe) in OpenC2 to this concept.
Cacao workflow is a set of Cacao actions.

I guess this prior discussion didnât stick and I appreciate you sharing how OpenC2 has defined some aspects of this. However, one of the primary reasons why CACAO exists is that OpenC2 didnât support all that we needed to do and after working with folks in OpenC2 it was obvious that we need to form a playbook TC that would allow us to define playbooks that could include the various elements defined such as OpenC2, Kestrelâetc.

One suggestion that I thought we had also previously discussed was changing the name of the attack âtargetâ to something more specific such as âAttackVictimâ or just âVictimâ. This might be a less intrusive change than changing all uses of the term target everywhere else.

Allan