cam-comment message

Subject: SV: [cam] Re: [ebxml-dev] cam examples

Well I'm having trouble runing JCAM, it's not finding JDOM (which I had to
install for this), and anyway I'm not particularly interested in running
JCAM.

 I have to make a report as to what I think of CAM as a specification, not
what I think of JCAM as an implementation.

I'm not particularly good at Java either, generally I'm competent enough to
install and run programs, I can do maintenance level coding in it, but it is
not my language of choice, so you see, I have no interest in JCAM and if I
were to recommend using CAM for anything I would probably also want to
implement it in some other language (my report however is not a report for
recommendation but rather a report on how the project currently stands)
I think as a general rule it is a good idea that specifications which deal
with such things as input formats to processes that should result in output
formats, that the expected output formats are also shown. That these outputs
are gotten by running a process through JCAM or that they're written by hand
is not important, but I think it's sort of a weird idea that people looking
at the spec and wondering what outputs look like should download an alpha
implementation and run it. Especially as that alpha implementation doesn't
seem to be referred to in the spec as a canonical implementation.

In other words, I was asked to take a look at CAM and make a report on it,
in order to do that I should do a lot of things other than run an
implementation to check outputs. This morning I've spent a couple hours on
downloading, installing, running command lines, and not getting any closer
to the knowledge I would like to complete my report. I can't help but think
that if other people find themselves in the same situation it might be
better if some examples outputs were included with the examples zip because
it seems like a hell of a lot of work for each person to replicate.