cam-dev message

Subject: RE: [cam-dev] Newbie question about CAM

Olivier,

Check out the <as:include>

The CAM editor toolkit allows you to select a tree branch and make it an include.

Overall CAM is more the direct approach - the WYSIWYG XML - as it is targeted at interoperable business information exchanges - where you want precise knowledge of the content structure.

However - the CAM toolkit does reverse engineer all the schema techniques back into a CAM template - so whatever extensions people have done in the XSD become part of the CAM template.

And of course you have explicit setChoice() control over what is used - and unlike XSD - these can be tied to an XPath expression - so you can control thru makeOptional() what is required or not.

Michael Sorens article on DevX shows some excellent examples of dynamic structure modification using context.

Hope that helps.

DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [cam-dev] Newbie question about CAM
From: Olivier Rossel <olivier.rossel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, October 07, 2009 9:21 am
To: cam-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello everyone.

I am a new subscriber to the CAM list.
I am a SemWeb freelance more used to OWL and RDF stuff.
But at the moment, I have to work on XML structures and their
corresponding XML Schemas.

I discovered CAM via a post on xml-dev.

Now I have some questions about how CAM defines the structure of documents.

In XML Schema there is a trick to modularize the structure definition.
This best practice is to use <element ref="..."> with <element
name="..." type=". . ."> and a type ". . .":

<xs:element name="people" type="peopleType"/>

<xs:complexType name="peopleType">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element ref="name"/>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>

<xs:element name="name" type="nameType"/>

<xs:complexType name="nameType">
</xs:complexType>

thanks to that modularization pattern and the mechanisms of XSD, you
have the ability to override or extends some parts of your schema.

it looks like CAM is more raw when it comes to structure definition.

can you point me to resources about how CAM can be modular?