cam message

Subject: Masks

Dear all,
	I have been building the code for the masks and need help with
the document.

	I feel there are several things that are wrong with the section
on masks.

	1) the setMask action should declare the style of mask being
used, either 'String', 'Number' or 'Date'.  This means we could either
have setMask(//path,String,mask) or setStringMask(//path,mask).  I
prefer the latter.

	2) In the tables shown there is emphasis on the masks that take
the string in a field as input and change it.  I believe this use case
is different from a mask that is being used to validate input.  This
means that if we want to allow masks for output that we we now have a
use case for cam as a transform tool.  I do not think we should be going
there in release 1.  This means that for release one masks are only for
validation.  If this is the case the mask definitions need changing to
reflect this.

	for example:

	the document shows:

	XXXXing matching to portability returning porting.  In
validation mode I believe this should be interpreted as XXXXing matching
only 7 letter words ending in 'ing'.

	In dates this in even more the case as to allow the change
option you need to know the original format of the date before you can
apply the mask.

	3) There is a usecase for CAM doing some minor changes to the
input document.  The key one being to add defaulted elements and
attributes that do not occur in the incoming document.  This is useful
as it then means any application that handles the document does not need
to apply default values.  If we allow this use case the ability to do
some masking for out might be useful as well.  Therefore we should
change the format of the setMask statement to allow an input and output
mask.
	setStringMask(//path,X11,XXXXing) would handle the portability
to porting case. X11 for validation. XXXXing for output.

	What do you think.

	Once again I find that I have to make some assumptions to
progress with my validator.  I will therefore be assuming the following:
No output mask for v1.0.  So any mask is for validation only which
greatly reduces the number of masks we have to worry about.

	BTW.  What ever the choice forward for this part of the spec the
section on masks need greatly beefing up as it does not define all the
nuances that are shown in the examples.

Martin Roberts
xml designer,
BT Exact