cam message

Subject: RE: [cam] Default Namespaces

Martin,

See my notes below.

Message text written by INTERNET:martin.me.roberts@bt.com

        I would also favour explicit namespace definition section as
well as the use of xmlns.  In this way again the namespace used are made
obvious rather than a long list of xmlns attributes somewhere in the
file.

>>> Agreed.  Can you provide a suggestion - should this go in <properties>
?

        Just so you know the issue is a real problem for any code writer
who is using XPATH.  As we are heavily using XPATH we have to live with
its constraints.

>>> Yes - we have to lie in the bed we've choosen.

        As to preparsing the problem comes when there is a complex xpath
that has element from multiple namespaces, without prefixes there is no
way to get the namespaces recognised?

>>> I think I'm still not 100% clear.  In the OAG example you sent - you'd
added
OAG:   prefix to everything, but that is not in the original BOD schema.
So that's
a problem - since for both input and output transactions - the elements
won't
have at prefix on them.   That's what I'm worried about - and suggesting we
can have a mechanism for adding that prefix in - on the fly - but the
template
will not have them physically typed into the structure layout - but the
XPath
parser will "see" them - once its loaded into memory ready to process.

Am I still following this?!?

<<<

        BTW.  I feel the namespace issue is one of the factors that
catches most implementors and most processor out most of the time.

>>> But hopefully once we get this all resolved we can put this behind
us - and I believe we're evolving here a better solution - that will
give CAM a significant advantage.

Thanks, DW.