cam message

Subject: RE: [cam] Masks

Martin,

Sorry!   It was late last night and I was tired.

Should have been U/U#/# #/#U/U

The '/' prefix indicates that the following character is optional.

So - postcodes like :    TA1 4YA    and W12 1N   and  W1 10NA

those London central postcodes, will parse as valid in the mask.

Does this work?  Since '/' is usually an escape character indicator,
but I don't think we're using it that way in masks.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by INTERNET:martin.me.roberts@bt.com

David,
        You always change things  just when I thought I had got it
sorted.

        Firstly I do not understanf what the '/' means.  Does it mean
the letter before is mandatory?

        Secondly where did the 'N' come from.  I thought it was '#'.
The reason for the symbols was that for numbers we have 0 for mandatory
# for optional (digits and whitespace and nothing)  so I thought symbols
for option letter might be approriate?

Martin Roberts <