cam message

Subject: Outputs

David and Others,
	If the CAM is going to be used to output info as well as
validate input, A very wide spec I think, but we may well at least think
big what about the following:

	We have Assembly structures that describe how something looks.
We have rules that describe the effects of context on the input file.
Why not use the same analogy for output.

	We current define an output set of rules but not directly linked
to a structure.  What about defining in the External Mapping section a
Structure and a set of rules.

	Also this would work well with the mail merge view of the world
where the input fields could be named, or given ids or aliased and then
these could be used in the output structure which would reduce the
rules.

	So we could have:

	AssembleStructure as:

	<Order>
		<Header>
			<OrderDate>$OrderDate</OrderDate>
			<Buyer>$BuyerID</Buyer>
		</Header>
		<Body>
		</Body>
	</Order>

	Output would be:

		<PurchaseOrder>
			<POHeader Date="$OrderDate"/>
			<Party function="Buyer" ID="$BuyerID"/>

	I think you can se my logic.

	The restrictions on this are:

		1) Only transformations based on input data are allowed.
		2) Only one data input is supported (may be need to
allow referencing of ebXMl and Soap attachments for examples)
		3) Aliases or XPATHs in to input would be supported.
		4) Output rules include functions such as substring etc.

	I can see this being really powerful.

Martin Roberts
xml designer,
BT Exact