cam message

Subject: Use cases (UPU / BPEL), ExternalMapping and FlowControl

Folks,

Over the last few weeks I've been plodding along on the edits for
revision 0.14 and in the process looking at the needs of the UPU
usage case (multiple output formats) and BPEL (ability to direct
a subset of CAM functionality).

We'd previously determined that the way forward on the UPU
example is to provide a similar facility in the <ExternalMapping>
section as with the <Structure> section - to specify the
target format.

This also means I believe that we need a <FlowControl> section
that specifies what is required, and has a default context, and then
context rule(s) just like in the <BusinessContext> section, but
in this case directs which choice for the input structure and
the matching output in the <ExternalMapping>.  Right now this
is a strawman - and we can obviously refine this here.

Now in the case of BPEL - the requirement is different - in that
CAM is used as a web service - and only a subset of the
functionality may be required - such as validating the input.
Interestingly - the extended <ExternalMapping> could then
be used to delimit the output returned by the webservice.

In some cases - this may also require the return of the input
structure content - but with some minor changes (status flags)
updated.

Anyway - I'd like to have feedback on these ideas - and then
we can firm up something for the 0.14 revisions in progress.

Thanks, DW.

p.s. Martin has indicated he's willing to help on the 0.14
editing task - so hopefully this will move this along faster
now.