cam message

Subject: RE: Drools and CAM

Mark,

We'll see who it goes.  My time is extremely short this week - will attend to the PPT first.  Maybe some of the other folks on the list may want to hop over for a chat....

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mark Proctor <mproctor@codehaus.org>
Date: Sun, January 01, 2006 10:38 pm
To: "David Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: TANVEER_ASHIQUE@bah.com, CAM TC <cam@lists.oasis-open.org>, Martin
Roberts <martin.me.roberts@bt.com>

IRC isn't a list it's a live chat room where you can talk to me and the other developers - no need to subscribe, just pop in and have a chat :)

Mark
David Webber (XML) wrote:
Mark,

Your PPT is a great introduction to the world of rule engines and
methods.

My own background is heavily Prolog - for 15 years.  I missed seeing
constraint based solutioning - but I guess DROOLS has to leave
somethings to
those old purpose built engines!  And besides DROOLS could always
collaborate with a Prolog engine as a close cousin.... ; -)

On to CAM and DROOLS.  I have some PPT slides I will share during the
week
once I've cleaned them up for external perusal.

Basically the notion is to use the mechanisms in CAM - that is
essentially a
domain expert agent in XML structures and metadata - and provide an
interface directly in CAM to DROOLS and back again.  Then we're adding
the
ability to persist to SQL databases in CAM directly from the XML source
-
using simple XML syntax based assignment instructions.

This should allow people who are not DROOLS experts - to create a
business-centric solution that quickly handles basic ebusiness
transactions - while allowing extended rules to be layered into this -
by
software staff - that handle decreet rules and tests that are beyond the
scope of the base CAM function set.

This gives people the best of both worlds - a purpose built business XML
expert agent - coupled to the extensible DROOLS engine.

Your snippet of DROOLS V3 shows that this is all heading in the right
direction.

We've been experimenting with:
 <as:includeScript location="{url/my.drl}"/>
and
<as:executeScript name="{name.drl}" parm="\\xpath\locator\*"/>

as a first pass to provide linkage between the two.

I am definately interested in discussing this with the DROOLS community
-
where CAM can provide a pluggable XML handler toolkit for DROOLS users?

Beyond all this - DROOLS also looks like a good means to implement a
state
machine for BPSS (and JBOSS driven BPM) as envisioned in our BCM
architecture work - but we'll solve one problem at a time here!

I'm a bit allergic to signing up for IRC lists - my daily bandwidth is
severally constrained already - but we can definately look at sharing
some
collaboration resources - possibly a wiki area - where ideas and test
components can be posted..?

Thanks, DW