cam message

Subject: RE: [cam] RE: Drools and CAM

Mark,

forall() is an essential and powerful mechanism.  Will you also be implementing the Prolog cut() notion?  Essential for limiting recursion in rule solutions.

However - I suspect for most of our applications in CAM - the mundane will be more than enough.

The multi-partner / multi-task collaborations in BPSS / jBPM obviously require much more state management and dynamic ruleset management.  The concept of a state machine.

CAM is designed as a single threaded process that performs a descreet task around a particular business transaction.

Within a transaction I can forsee need for DROOLS to manage state - again lookiing at our grant applciations - we have budget years and line items within budget - so a lot of facts can be asserted there - and then crosschecked once all budget items have been accumulated.

I like the idea of being able to separate the DROOLS into partions - however - I'm thinking this should work already with v2 - if we persist the DROOLS engine across invokations from CAM - and then have functions that perform the assertions and the comparisons in separate DROOLS scripts - collaborating but independently performed.

Cheers, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mark Proctor <mproctor@codehaus.org>
Date: Mon, January 02, 2006 12:57 pm
To: "David Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: martin.me.roberts@bt.com, TANVEER_ASHIQUE@bah.com,
cam@lists.oasis-open.org

Some of the more advanced features with rule engines are the checks for
the existence and non existence of facts and constraints, via NOT and
EXIST - this is more than a standard boolean !. Also we later hope to
improve that further to support forall and accumulate functionality,
which makes it easier dealing with quantities and sets of data.
ark,There is
also a paper on temperal rules, that jrules is based on, that we want to
eventually integrate. Finally its wort mentioning that rule engines
allow rules to be added and removed at runtime, without the need to
repopulate a working memory.

Mark