cam message

Subject: RE: [cam] CAM, NIST and eTSL (Test Assertion Language)]?

Team,

Some further thoughts on this - CAM clearly fits as an Evaluation Adapter component.

The overall approach and architecture for eTSL reminds me closely of SMIL - except
that instead of multimedia shows being controlled - its business transaction systems!

In fact much in SMIL could be re-used I suspect...SMIL-T...!?!?

Interestingly - here at NIH on my project we are working on automated regression
testing.  Our primary Evaluation Adapter is GNUdiff !!  It compares the XML dump
from the Oracle database tables for previous test cases - with the current test
run.  The XML dump contains both failed and successful entries (either XML error
messages and response codes, or XML of data table entries created). Oracle
has facilities to auto-create XML dumps from tables using SQLPlus scripts that
I have written.

Again - preparation of test cases and automation is a significant need - we are
using Excel spreadsheets and VBscripts to auto-create XML test cases.  I've
also built combined xslt and CAM scripts to take a base XML instance and create
multiple test cases automatically.

I suspect our CAM toolset can be useful both in preparation (test case content
assembly) and post-process validation.

Beyond that - being able to control the execution of each piece dependent on
completion of the prior step - that is being done manually right now - and there
are basically 3 batches - upload of test cases & processing - then XML dump
of results - then validation and comparison.

Once we have this fully operational it will save hundreds of manhours of
tedious checking for every production codebase release.

DW