cam message

Subject: Changing the Scope on Contexts

Hi,
  when we were doing 1.1 we introduced an item called scope which exists on a context.  The idea was that when an node that matched the scope's xpath was found the values of all local variables would be evaluated using the new node as the scope for the variable.  This works fine and is a needed concept.  The main problem with it is that people do not readily grasp the implication of a scope on a context.

  I would like to suggest a change ( that will be in the next release of the editor but not the processor) a new function called evaluateVariable.  This would cause the variable to be evaluated in the current nodes scope.  The effect will be the same as the scope on context but it is much easier to map on to and will also be more targeted i.e. no all variables will be evaluated.

Martin