Subject: Draft Minutes CAMP TC Con Call 23 October 2012

Minutes of the First CAMP TC Meeting, 23 October 2012

Convenor: Jeff Mischkinsky, Oracle

Opening of meeting:

   Jeff welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the CAMP TC

  Scribe: Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
  Roll Call:

O	Barry, Tim	Quantum Corporation
V	Behrens, Michael	US Department of Defense (DoD)
G	Bhargav-Spantzel, Abhilasha	Intel
V	Byreddy, Bhaskar Reddy	Software AG, Inc.
V	Carlson, Mark	Oracle
V	Chapman, Martin	Oracle
V	Durand, Jacques	Fujitsu Limited
Staff	Ensign, Chet	OASIS
O	Grange, Keith	JumpSoft
V	Heneveld, Alex	Cloudsoft Corporation Limited
V	Janssen, Gershon	Individual
V	Jilk, David		Standing Cloud, Inc.
V	Johnston-Watt, Duncan	Cloudsoft Corporation Limited
V	Karmarkar, Anish	Oracle
O	Krishnamoorthy, Balakrishnan	Cognizant Technology Solutions
V	Kunze, Tobias	Red Hat
G	Luster, Eugene
V	Malhotra, Ashok	Oracle
V	Mischkinsky, Jeff	Oracle
O	Moberg, Dale	Axway Software
O	Oliveira, Fred	Verizon Business
M	Otto, Adrian	Rackspace Hosting, Inc.
V*	Parkitny, Andrzej	TELUS
V	Pilz, Gilbert	Oracle
V	Rutt, Tom		Fujitsu Limited
V	Sawyer, David 	JumpSoft
Staff	Schur, Dee,	OASIS
V	Seeman Natarajan, Ananda Subramanian	Cognizant Technology Solutions
V	Smith, Kevin	Novetta Solutions
V	Song, Zhexuan	Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
V	Tupitza, Charles	JumpSoft
V	Yendluri, Prasad	Software AG, Inc.

V= Voting, M= Member (Registered after the 7 day deadline), O = Observer, G= Guest (need to sign up to the TC to attend future meetings)

Voting Members for this meeting = 22

V* - After the meeting, Addrezej informed the Chair that he wanted to be downgraded to Observer status, which will take effect at the next meeting.

Topic: Nominations for Chair/Co-Chairs

 Martin Chapman is nominated

  Ashok Malhotra (Oracle): I think a co-chair is a good idea!
  discussion on whether to have a co-chair
  Mark Carlson was nominated by Michael Behrens.

  Tom: would there be weekly meetings

  Martin: there would be weekly meeting. Do support having a co-chair
  Jeff: need to decide if we want to have co-chairs
  Jacques (Fujitsu): can we wait before deciding co-chairs?
  Duncan: support for Martin as chair, given his past experience. Should hold off on the co-chair
  Chet Ensign (OASIS): Jacques, yes - the TC can choose to elect a co-chair at a later date.

 Jeff: any more nominations?

 Mark withdraws his nomination

 One nomination for chair: Martin Chapman

  Jacques: support Martin's nomination

  Jeff: any objection to unanimous consent for electing Martin as the chair?
  no objections

Martin Chapman is the chair

Jeff passes the gavel to Martin.
Martin chairs the remainder of the meeting.

Topic: agenda approval

  Agenda posted in the Calendar entry: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/event.php?event_id=33737
  Jeff moves, Tom seconds to approve the agenda
  no discussion or objections to approving the agenda

Topic: Welcome from OASIS Staff (Chet)

  Chet: posted a presentation on the process https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/download.php/47251/TC-Process-orientation-CAMP-TC.ppt
  Chet walks through the presentation
  Chet: my job is to support the TC in its work and communicate processes/best practices, and help with doc review, votes as well as get your feedback
  ... start with WD, iterate. Can go directly to CSPRD or iterate through CSD. Followed by CS. Process is iterative.
  ... then comes candidate OASIS standard, followed by OASIS standard (voted by the membership). Can do errata. This is the standards track work product
  ... non-standard track documents (whitepapers, notes etc) only go through: WD, CND, CNPRD
  ... plus there are admin docs (minutes etc)
  ... typical timeframe runs anywhere from 1yr-1.5yrs
  ... things go to oasis library only when it goes to CSD
  ... TC contributions should be done by loading the doc in the doc repository and sending an email. TC is under no obligation to do anything with it.
  ... It means that OASIS has been granted non-exclusive right to publish the contribution in the context of the work of the TC

  Ashok: in the process there is no mention of implementation or testing

   Chet: did that to keep the presentation short. But this is up to the TC to decide. Number of TCs have started implementing code during the drafting stage and getting feedback during   that stage. Others start at CS stage. OASIS rules require that when u go out as CS, you have to specify what an implementation is required to do to claim to be conformant.

  ... that section (conformance) is required to be in the spec. That means the TC members have to give some thought to it
  ... before CS goes forward as a OASIS standard, there needs to be three stmts saying that 'we have implemented the spec' and refer to the conformance clause. This can be very detailed or not
  ... those are the only 2 requirements. But the TC decides what else may be done.

 TC Admin web page is at: https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tcadmin
  Chet: will send to the TC list links to a page that helps the TC in its work

  ... must have quorum at a meeting to make decisions
  ... missing two meetings in a row => lose voting rights. attending two meetings in a row => gain voting rights
  ... TC uses Roberts Rules of Order
  ... happy to answer questions or help in any way

  Mark: can we request leave of absence?
  Chet: yes you can and you do not lose your voting rights
   LOA -- one peryear. Additional have to be approved by TC
  Can we go from observer to voting member?
  Chet: rejoin as member, attend 2 consecutive meetings and gain voting rights

  Martin: will follow RRO. motion/second etc. Goes pretty smoothly. Only VM can make motions and second

  Mark Carlson (Oracle): How many voting members do we have today? And how many members are needed for quorum next call?
   22 voting members, 12 required for quorum at next meeting (51% of voting members)

Topic: charter review

  https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/camp/charter.php

  Martin: opportunity to ask questions on the charter
  ... charter can be changed. If the charter is narrowed (scope), that is simple. If the scope is expanded, it gets complicated

 Martin walks through the sections of the charter

 Tom: one sentence have a concern about exit criterion
 ... the idea of two different impl for each feature is a good idea. One concern about 'code base', what does it mean?
 ... what happens if there is a high-quality OSS impl and two companies take that and create their own, why is that not allowed?

  Jeff: personally, i believe if two companies use the same OSS, that does not meet the criteria. The idea is to having a lower bar than SCA.
  ... no point in having an abstract debate about this
  ... we can wait and see what happens

  Tom: we could change this charter item if we have to?

  Jeff: that is for the TC to decide what 'different codebase' means
  ... you are allowed to make charter changes that narrow the scope

  Martin: we can have a longer debate when we get to the point of deciding the exit criteria

  jeff.mischkinsky: for attendance: if you go to the calendar entry - you can click on record your attendance

  Gil: understand the concern about trying to figure out 'which code base is different'. Ultimately, it will come down to a vote of the TC to decide this.
  ...But if we are at that point, we are not in a good place.

  Tom: don't want to change the charter at this time. Can live w/ it

  Martin: we can have additional non-standard docs (eg:  tutorial). we can decide on that.
  ... after we are done, it is best practice to keep the TC alive and do maintenance
  ... We are operating under the non-assert mode. Look up the OASIS IPR policy for details of that.

  Jacques: charter has a line about testing. It says "Testing of the specification shall be performed in periodic plug fests."
  ... That is not the only way to do testing. To meet the deadline, it says that testing shall right away. This is a little aggressive

Topic: TC Operations

  Martin: we do have JIRA that OASIS provides
  Chet: at the TC's request we'll set up a JIRA project
  ... it is an issue tracking/mgmt. Number of TCs use it. Works quite well.

  https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/download.php/47252/JIRA-orientation-CAMP-TC.ppt

  Proposal for issue resolution process:
  https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/download.php/47250/CAMP%20TC%20Proposed%20Issues%20Process%20v6.ppt

  Michael Behrens: JIRA is a good tool.

  Martin walks through the presentation

  Martin: we should consider a higher bar for 'reopening' of issues
  ... like a 2/3rd vote

  Martin: as we get closer to being done. We should then consider higher bar for new issues at that point

  Motion: Mark moves, Tom seconds to use OASIS JIRA for issue resolution
  no discussion or objections to the motion
  motion is approved w/o objections

  Chet to set up CAMP JIRA
  Will be found under: https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/secure/Dashboard.jspa

  ACTION-20121023-0: Chet to set up JIRA for the CAMP TC

Topic: Meeting schedule

  Martin: proposed meeting on 6-8 Nov 2012 - at Oracle HQ - Redwood Shores, CA - USA
  Tom Rutt (Fujitsu): will there be teleconf access at this f2f?
  Jeff: thought it made sense to have a f2f sooner than later
  ... there will be telcon access to the f2f
  Mark Carlson (Oracle): We can set up a webex as well

  Michael Behrens: ** F2F conflict: Cloud Expo West 2012 is November 5-8 in Santa Clara, CA.
  Andrzej Parkitny (TELUS): Mark, Webex would help to get some context.

  ... the tentative agenda could be a a) tutorial on the contribution, b) testing methods by Jacques, d) set of issues from the creators of the contribution
  ... there will be wifi at the meeting location

  Jeff: OASIS was trying to get us to have the f2f at the expo, but logistics didn't work out
  ... the problem is that if we push this out it goes into US TG holidays

  MichaeB: should coordinate f2f agenda with the expo.
  The expo is open only for certain hours

  Jeff: it is about 30 mins away when there is no traffic
  Jacques: for locals, it is preferable to have schedule of 9:30-5:30 instead of 9-5

 Martin: we'll get a draft agenda out. If ppl want to move topics  around to suit when they will attend, we can do that

  Motion: jeff moves, TomR seconds to have a f2f 6-8 Nov 2012 - at Oracle HQ - Redwood Shores, CA - USA from 9:30am-5:30pm each day
 no discussion or objections. Motion approved w/o objection

  Martin: we need to decide on weekly calls. Weekly or no? Duration? Day/time.
  ... suggest that we don't meet next week. But we meet this time every tue

  Mark: we should meet next week to finalize the f2f agenda
  ... we meet weekly one hour

  Martin: was thinking of doing that over email

  Jeff: the f2f agenda broad outline is clear. we can do email. Plus the TC will decide on it at the start of the f2f

  We decided on no meeting on 30th October

  Tom: we should make it 90 mins. If we don't need the time we can adjourn early. Getting on the calendar is important
  Martin: agree
  Mark: that is blocking of 2 hours on the calendar. My proposal is 1 hr

  Tom: how about one hour later

  Mark Carlson (Oracle): I cannot meet an hour later - DMTF TC

  jeff.mischkinsky: i would prefer 8 am vs. 9 am

  Martin to set up a doodle poll

  ACTION-20121023-1: Martin to set up a poll to determine regular call times.

  Duncan Johnston-Watt (Cloudsoft): Separate question: How often do we plan on holding F2F meetings?

  Martin: thinking February for the next f2f though for the TC to decide

Topic: AOB

  Martin: no meeting next week. Will work on agenda for f2f over email

 Straggler roll:  Eugene Luster joined late.

  Attending a FTF remotely counts as attendance for voting rights - three days of F2F is considered one single meeting wrt attendance rules.

Meeting adjourned
----
Summary of Action Items