Subject: "extensions" and "features"

It seems to me that, when we talk about extensions, we do so using at least two different levels of granularity. At the finer, more detailed, level of granularity we tend to talk about individual, additional attributes to existing resource types or individual, new resource types. For example, "The Assembly Template resource has been extended with a 'zone' attribute" or "We've added the Zone resource as an extension".

At the coarser, less detailed, level we tend to talk about features and functions that support use cases above and beyond those covered by the CAMP spec. For example, "This CAMP implementation supports the geographic zone extension" - meaning that the CAMP implementation in question has extend 3 resource types with an extension attribute and added one new resource type - plus all the logic that implements the semantics of "geographic zones".

As a matter of personal preference, I dislike using the same term to refer to different concepts, particularly when those concepts exist at different layers of abstraction. Furthermore, I think the differences in these two concepts have practical implications on how we support "extensions" in CAMP. Specifically, I think there are use cases that involve both of these concepts, sometimes individually, and sometimes together. In any case, I would like to continue to refer to the finer-grained concept as "extensions" and refer to the coarser-grained concept as "features". For example, "The geographic zone feature is implemented using extensions to the Assembly Template, Application Component Template, and Platform Component Template resource and the extended Zone resource".

~ gp