Subject: Draft Minutes 20th March 2013

Meeting Minutes 20th March 2013

Attendees:

Rackspace Hosting, Inc.	Roshan Agrawal	Voting Member
Software AG, Inc.	 	Bhaskar Reddy Byreddy	Voting Member
Oracle				Mark Carlson	Voting Member
Oracle				Martin Chapman	Chair
Fujitsu Limited		Jacques Durand	Voting Member
Cloud4SOA			Panagiotis Gouvas	Member
Cloudsoft Corporation Limited	Alex Heneveld	Voting Member
Individual			Gershon Janssen	Voting Member
Oracle				Anish Karmarkar	Voting Member
Oracle				Ashok Malhotra	Voting Member
Rackspace Hosting, Inc.	Adrian Otto	Secretary
Oracle				Gilbert Pilz	Voting Member
Red Hat			Krishna Raman	Voting Member
Fujitsu Limited		Tom Rutt		Voting Member
JumpSoft			Charles Tupitza	Voting Member
Software AG, Inc.		Prasad Yendluri	Voting Member

Intro:

  Scribe appointment: Gil assumes scribe duties
  Agenda: approved as posted

Minutes:

   13th March 2013: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/email/archives/201303/msg00040.html
      Motion: move to adopt minutes of 2013-03-13; Gil moved, Ashok seconds
      RESOLUTION: motion to approve minutes passes

Administrivia:

   April face to face meeting

        Tom Rutt (Fujitsu): i will attend
        reminder also to register for OASIS20
       Anish Karmarkar (Oracle) the editors need to get their act together and bring something forward wrt conformance, 2119 etc
       Prasad: Is dial-in still possible?
       Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): @prasad yes
       Prasad: To the F2F .. Some of us might show-up in person if dial-in is an issue..

Editing Team Update:

      CSD02 published - good to tweet about.
      WD08 available:      https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/download.php/48594/camp-spec-v1.1-wd08.doc

New Issues:

     None

Issue Discussion:

      https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CAMP-21  Clarify whether App Developers/Admins can assume what the Assembly template tree looks like until post-deploy

    Gil discusses the issue.
    Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): perhaps better phrased as: as far as CAMP spec goes, there is no requirement that the PDP will impose any restriction on how the Platform 'componentizes' the app
     Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): that is to say: someone may come along and impose additional restriction for specific platforms or type of platforms (java/ruby/whatever). But in CAMP there is none
     Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): The importance of PDP is portability
     Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): * if platform can't fulfill the instructions/requirements in a PDP then it should fail.  however some instructions may indicate optional activities (such as
     ... through an extension) and in that case the PDP would not need to fail.
     Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): +1 to requirements for portability
     Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): * to maximise portability, it is recommended to use portable requirements as much as possible, rather than imperative instructions
     Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): SEPARATE: do we have a way to indicate how requirements have been fulfilled, in an Assembly or {App,Platform}Component ... ?  that seems useful.

      Adrian> presents slide deck on "PDP Questions"

     Mark Carlson (Oracle): Would two "java" platforms that both use J2EE look similar from the aspect of having the same set of Platform Components, and thus the imperative, specific model would ensure portability?
      ... probably, but we can't say anything about that in our spec
      ... from a practical perspective we don't have the time to go into Java EE, Java Spring, Ruby Rails, etc.
     Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): it may have the same set of platform components, but the way they organize the components (in terms of relative URIs) may be difference
      ... from a charter perspective, we're not allowed to go into those areas
     Mark Carlson (Oracle): Whereas if we wanted to move a Java app from say J2EE to Cloud Foundry, you would need to use the more declarative model to get portability
     Mark Carlson (Oracle): Just using these as examples of what we need to address
     MartinC: we have wandered into CAMP-4: so i think the best thing to do is just link camp-21 to 4
     Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): good points.  2 scenarios which show imperative can't be avoided for a long time:  deploying wordpress (yech) you often need to run some PHP on the
     ....server to optimize it; whenever cloudformation does something more interesting than a canned AMI, it refers to bash/puppet/chef

    Motion: close CAMP-21 as a duplicate of CAMP-4; Alex moved; Adrian seconds
     RESOLUTION: motion passes by UC

https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CAMP-30  Parameter Scheme

   Adrian presents his updated proposal (working version that has not posted)
    Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): sorry -- phone cut out.  makes sense @Gil and @Adrian that this can be on any instantiable template
    Anish Karmarkar (Oracle): i think solving it just for name/param/tags is a bandaid

   General feeling that the proposal is heading in the right direction and is close to being resolved.

AOB:

   Straggler roll: Bhaskar

 MEETING ADJOURNED