Subject: Re: [camp] creating things in CAMP

We have to keep in mind that CAMP is about application administration not Platform administration.

-Anish
--

On 03/25/2013 07:12 PM, Jacques Durand wrote:
2) Can you POST to a PlatformComponentTemplate (to create a PlatformComponent) ?

No. That must be done by the Platform Admin, and there is no expectation that the API handle that.

Wouldn’t the “you [POST]” in that case just be the platform admin – i.e.
the only difference here between posting to a PlatformComponentTemplate
vs to an ApplicationComponentTemplateis an access right, everything
being otherwise equal?

Also could it be that when deploying an application over a platform that
has some pre-existing PCTs, you may need to reconfigure a platform
component e.g. by re-generating it  from its template, with the right
parameters? (assuming the platform admin let you do that)

Just making sure we don’t introduce unwarranted restrictions…

-jacques

*From:*camp@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:camp@lists.oasis-open.org] *On
Behalf Of *Adrian Otto
*Sent:* Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:27 PM
*To:* camp@lists.oasis-open.org

Alex,

On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Alex Heneveld
<alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com <mailto:alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com>>

  wrote:

    Hi folks,

    There was discussion today about POSTing to Templates to create
    instances.  There seem to be a few different ideas on how this would
    work.  I wanted to canvas opinion before opening an issue (if indeed
    we need one).

    I think we all agree you can POST a PDP to Platform to create an
    Assembly.

Yes, definitely.

    But:

    0) Can you POST to an AssemblyTemplate (to create an Assembly) ?

Yes.

    1) Can you POST to an ApplicationComponentTemplate (to create an
    ApplicationComponent) ?

Yes.

    2) Can you POST to a PlatformComponentTemplate (to create a
    PlatformComponent) ?

No. That must be done by the Platform Admin, and there is no expectation
that the API handle that.

    And finally:

    3) Do we say (in the spec) what the result of such a POST is? (Could
    (1) return an Assembly ?)

We should. That could be made more clear.

    4) If (1) and/or (2) is _permitted_ by the spec, is it permitted for
    a compliant implementation to refuse such requests (ie only support
    (0); or even to support only PDP-initiated deployments) ?

The subject of access control is beyond the scope of the current spec.
We don't explicitly allow or prohibit it.

    My thinking had implicitly been that consumers would do (0) and
    *not* (1) or (2).  The AC's and PC's are created by the platform in
    response, and every instance is "owned" by an assembly.  And the PDP
    is a convenience for supplying potentially a bunch of ACT's, PCT's,
    and an AssemblyTemplate.

That seems less natural than allowing POST actions to any template
resource to create an instance of it.

    My read now though is that (1) and (2) are permitted.  So you could
    post to an ACT and get an AC back, and if this ACT (say it was a WAR
    file) had a requirement for some PC (say something with a
    WAR_appserver capability), there would be a PC created (or perhaps
    re-used) and the WAR installed there.  All makes sense.  But could
    we end up with these things running without any Assembly ... and is
    that a problem?

That's not a problem as far as I'm concerned. I may want to create
components that are used by multiple Assemblies. It would still be
related to my Platform, but just not to any Assembly.

    It would be very helpful to know what people are thinking here!

I have been thinking about many of the same things, as evidenced by my
last update to CAMP-30. Thanks for starting this discussion.

Adrian