Subject: Draft Minutes 10th April 2013

Meeting Minutes 10th April 2013

Attendees:

US Department of Defense (DoD)	Michael Behrens		Voting Member
Oracle				Mark Carlson		Voting Member
Oracle				Martin Chapman		Chair
Fujitsu Limited			Jacques Durand		Voting Member
Cloud4SOA			Panagiotis Gouvas		Voting Member
Cloudsoft Corporation Limited	Alex Heneveld		Voting Member
Cloudsoft Corporation Limited	Duncan Johnston-Watt	Voting Member
Oracle				Anish Karmarkar		Voting Member
Oracle				Ashok Malhotra		Voting Member
Rackspace Hosting, Inc.		Adrian Otto		Secretary
Oracle				Gilbert Pilz		Voting Member
Red Hat				Krishna Raman		Voting Member
Fujitsu Limited			Tom Rutt			Voting Member
JumpSoft				Charles Tupitza		Voting Member
Software AG, Inc.			Prasad Yendluri		Voting Member

Intro:
    Ashok assumes scribe duties.
    Roll: 15 of 16, 93% quorate. Attendees listed above

Topic:  Agenda

      Add a quick debrief of F2F
     Ashok:  Please spend a few minutes on Scaling Policy
     Martin:  I will add it
     Agenda approved w/o objection

Topic:  Next f2f
     Duncan has made offer to host on Colorado (Broomfield, CO @ Omni Interlocken Resort (potentially)
      July 8-10 tentively

Topic:  Timeline

     Gil has updated the diagram: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/download.php/48760/CAMP%20sched%202013-04-05.pdf
    Goal is to have PR for TA to overlap some of the time with PR of the Spec

Topic:  Minutes of F2F
     April 2013 F2F: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/email/archives/201304/msg00037.html
     Motion: Gil moves to moves accept minutes Adrian seconds
     Minutes approved w/o objection

Topic:  Editing Team Update
     No news

Topic:  Issue Discussion
     Martin:  Biggest ongoing issue is PDP
     Gil:  Alex added to my proposal
     Alex:  Mine is a superset

     Adrian:  I made some additional changes

     Alex presents teh draft: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/document.php?document_id=48811
     Alex:  Zip archive with a CAMP.JSON at the root
     Adrian:  Where is SPECIFICATION defined
     Gil:  What is containing the content?
     Alex:  That's the specification object.  You can have more than one of those.
     Gil:  I view the PDP as a bag of component.
     Gil: ComponentSpec?
     Alex:  A specification is a specification for a component
     Michael:  Where do we tell what to do with the specifications?
     Adrian Otto (Rackspace): Have we considered only using Requirements rather than
    ....Specifications? This would give the platform the freedom to create any number of resources

     ....to address the stated Requirements, as Gil has indicated.
     Michael:  Is the ordring meaningful.
     Alex:  We don't say anything about that.  Servers may want to do them in parallel
     ... Perhaps say order is not significant
     Adrian:  Why this directions rather than requirements
     ... if we do that the platform could satisfy several requirements with a single resource
     Krishna:  Requirements would be pltaform independent
     Alex:  Requirements can be extended
    Michael Behrens: "options" would be a good name for it.
     Discussion on optionality
    Gil: +1 to renaming "requirements" to "dependencies" - this further reinforces the separation
    ....between "dependencies" (which are in the DP) and "PlatformComponentRequirement"  (which is a CAMP resource)
     Gil:  Why did the requirement specified transitively
     Alex:  It does not.  Both variations are possible.
     Gil:  Can we eliminate transitive requirements for this version?
     Alex:  It limits expressivity
     ... gives an example
     ... 4.3 describes the Schema
     Martin:  Asks about the Schema language
     ... if so everyone will have to write a PDP parser

     Anish Karmarkar (USA): i missed the schema part. why do we need a schema?
     Gil:  JSON Schema is not going to be a spec soon
     ... parsing JSON is not a big problem
    Tom Rutt (Fujitsu): I thought we were going to define our own curly brace notation for our jason pseudo schema
     Alex:  Not hard to parse the JSON objects ... we can do that and make it open source
     Anish:  Why do we need a Schema for the PDP?  We don't need it for other resources.
     Alex:  A lot of folks will generate PDPs so it may be good to have a Schema
     Tom:  Test Cases will require some parsing

    Adrian Otto (Rackspace): What about parameters? Do we want to allow parameters to be     .... supplied when a PDP is registered, or processed?
     Alex:  We may need a validator for conformance testing
     Anish:  Not having JSON Schema is not going to be a big impediment
     Adrian:  Asks about parameters to the PDP to accomodate a PDP working on platforms that may have small variations
     Anish:  May have to use MIME if we allow parameters ... not just an argument to POST

    MartinC - webex: the pdp can  contain default values
     Gil:  The name attribute needs to be specified by a parameter

     Jacques:  Don't we need a file with a standard name?
    Tom Rutt (Fujitsu): are we not going to need a test assertion to validate the pdp content?
    Gil: if 'name' isn't specified in the DP, and you don't provide 'name' as a parameter in the     ....POST to the Platform resource, there is no other choice but to make up some random

name
    Anish Karmarkar (USA): @gil that is a good point
     Anish:  We could say that if you want to use parameters you have another way to register     ...where you supply a JSON object with parameters
     Anish:  Parameters would be used during registration process
     Alex:  How do we specify what a parameter should do?
     ... where is the effect of parameters defined
     ... we may need a new convention such as anything that starts with $ in a parameter
     Gil:  If the PDP is a bag of components which component does the PDP take its name from
    Anish Karmarkar (USA): do we need parameters for 1.1 for anything besides saying 'set the    ...assembly template attribute foo to value bar'?
    Anish Karmarkar (USA): this would certainly allow you to set the name
    Michael Behrens: OASIS SDD: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=sdd
    MartinC - webex: in a pdp they are not parameters they are just values?

    Gil: "The purpose of the OASIS SDD TC is to define XML schema"
     Michael:  It's complex

    Anish Karmarkar (USA): so when you register you can say: {"pdpURI": "...", "name" : "foo"}

     Martin:  How do we make progress?  Can we get a baseline?
     Alex:  I will turn this into a proposal without parameters ... perhaps that could become a baseline
     Adrian:  Two easy issues:  How do we upload a PDP.  What is the format of the PDP?

    Anish Karmarkar (USA): or {"pdpURI": "...", "parameters": {"name": "foo", "whatever": "foo1"}}
     Martin:  Issue-3 is about uploading
     MartinC - webex: i think parameters are a misnomer wrt pdp - they are initialisation values
    MartinC - webex: parameters we should reserve for posting
     Anish:  Are parameters platform dependent ?
     ... or could they be din the PDP?

   Alex will attempt a no-frills baseline proposal!

  Anish Karmarkar (USA): did we resolve the issue about parameters?
  [no]

Issue-60: ApplicationComponentCapability is not linked by any resource Type

     Tom:  TOSCA uses names for matching.  Perhaps that enough for us too.
     Gil:  I think we do not need capabilities at all
     ... templates could require ranges of capability
     ... that's all we need
     ... I suggest we just delete capabilities
    Anish Karmarkar (USA): i think the model where requirements is a narrowing of capability doesn't work for lot of cases
     Jacques:  Either we remove them or specify where they belong
     ... usecase is for libraries that may be matched by capabilities
    Gil: https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CAMP-23
     ... we need some meta level description of capabilities to match with capabilities
     Alex:  TOSCA matching is more sophisticated than just name matching
     ... we do not use capabilities
    Tom Rutt (Fujitsu): I think the tosca capability/requirement matching is underspecified, so I am not sure what is allowed
     Mark:  Requirements and capabilities go hand-in-hand.  So, we need to remove both if we are removing.
    Gil: I don't understand why you can't match Requirements against Templates
    Gil: a Platform Component Template is a recipe for creating (or using an existing) a platform service
    Gil: why can't I match my application's requirements against these recipes?
    Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): I agree with @Gil.  "Capabilities" are an attempt to allow insight     ...into how requirements are used to select components (templates).
     Anish:  In some cases the requirement is a range and the capability is a specific value.
    Alex Heneveld (Cloudsoft): But they aren't well-enough specified to be worth including in the spec IMHO.
   General heading towards removing. put on next weeks agenda.

AOB

  Stragglers: Charles

 Note we did not cover a debrief of the F2F and scaling policy discussions. Put on next weeks agenda.

Meeting Adjourned.