Subject: proposal to bridge the semantic gap between Cloudsoft and Oracle proposals

Attached is a sketch of a proposal that attempts to bridge the gap between the Cloudsoft and Oracle proposals for CAMP-4.

This proposal arose from Anish's questions re: "is there a semantic difference or are we just arguing syntax?" It seemed to me that there was a semantic difference and that it concerned the number and granularity of what I call "distinguished names". Ultimately we have to have some way of identifying the services and capabilities that are (a) offered by the platform and (b) required by the application. Because we don't want to get into "platform service taxonomy" business we use things like "com.example.foo:Baz" to identify these things. I call these distinguished names.

In the Oracle proposal each requirement was only allowed to list a single distinguished name. In the Cloudsoft proposal requirements are allowed to list multiple distinguished names. For reasons I go into in the document, I consider the Cloudsoft proposal to be a better match for the development environment around CAMP 1.1.

In addition to supporting multiple, fine-grained capabilities, this new proposal supports "content-less PDPs" (i.e. requests to create a framework in which to build an app) and some other things that I can point out when we get a chance to discuss this.

~ gp