Subject: RE: [camp] YAML 1.1

Thanks Robin.

Jamie/Robin sounds like we could write this up in a general way should another TC stumble across a similar document it needs to reference.

Martin.

From: Robin Cover [mailto:robin@oasis-open.org]
Sent: 07 November 2013 02:33
To: Gilbert Pilz
Cc: Alex Heneveld; Anish Karmarkar; Adrian Otto; Jamie Clark; <camp@lists.oasis-open.org>; Chet Ensign; Carol Geyer

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Gilbert Pilz <gilbert.pilz@oracle.com> wrote:

Robin,

Many thanks for all your help. I am naught but a lowly editor and I have a practical question: what does it mean to "include the yaml.org URIs in the text of the specification References"? I'm not sure what you mean by "dual URI references".

Right now our YAML reference looks like this:

[YAML 1.1] Oren Ben-Kiki, Clark Evans, Brian Ingerson, "YAML Ain't Markup Language (YAML) Version 1.1" http://yaml.org/spec/1.1/

What would it look like if we used a "dual URI reference"?

~ gp

OK: something like:

[YAML 1.1] Oren Ben-Kiki, Clark Evans, Brian Ingerson, "YAML Ain't Markup Language (YAML) Version 1.1" http://yaml.org/spec/1.1/.  Also archived at: http://xml.coverpages.org/yaml.txt.

Does that seem OK to you?

Further, FYI:

If someone has a better suggestion, than the above that's great.

In a few months, we may have stronger prescriptions/recommendations about

how to create "best-practice" References, but for now, we have none --

other than cultural expectations in SSO/SDO arenas.

We hope to provide some citation libraries -- as per IETF and W3C -- so that

TC editors can simply SELECT references from a list, and then populate

the spec References section with a select-copy-paste gesture, or equivalent,

to stop the madness of making software engineers become bibliography

format geeks. (How stupid is that?)

My POV -- since the great "descriptive-markup qua be-verbose/explicit paradigm

shift -- exemplified in descriptive markup (1967-1981): explicit information almost

always trumps brevity.  So: we include editors' names.  Don't make someone

else do the research, for pity's sake.

So: your formulation "Oren Ben-Kiki, Clark Evans, Brian Ingerson" is very interesting,

and even encouraging to me.  At this moment, Staff (and TAB) are considering how

to enhance the recommended citations for OASIS specifications in spec

sections "Normative References" and "Non-Normative References", as well as in

the model "Citation format:" block.   At the moment, we do not cite spec editors,

but it's very common practice to do so.  The "YAML" spec reference above illustrates

one use case where omission of editors names would be odd (IMO: deficient)

bibliographically.  So also W3C and IETF, and many others. We're working on  it... :-)

At your service!

Cheers, - Robin