cap-dev message

Subject: Re: [cap-dev] Implementation Guide

Deanna -

At 12:26 PM -0600 8/19/04, you wrote:
>Does anyone know when this will be available?

Not sure... right now we're adding to our implementation
experience... and identifying areas that could use clarification (so
thanks for raising these points!)

>If it isn't available soon, I do have one question that keeps coming up
>at our developer meeting, what is meant by required?  In other words,
>can we send a NULL element <certainty> or must a value be provided?

"Required" means a multiplicity of 1..n.  And since the <certainty>
element is constrained to an enumerated set of values, the closest
thing to a null value would be <certainty>Unknown</certainty>.  (And
yes, that was a deliberate choice to encourage information/alerting
providers to start evaluating and disclosing the certainty or un- of
their messages... the social-science folks tell us that's a key
factor in effective risk communication, especially over the longer
term.)

>Also, how important is the ability to link alerts?  At this time, most
>of our alerts are information rather than warnings.  However, we as part
>of a new partnership, we are becoming involved with geocoded warning
>messages.

Right now CAP provides two linking mechanisms.  The provision for
linking CAP messages directly through the <references> element is for
update, cancellation or acknowledgement message, in which cases
there's a need to know what earlier message is being updated,
cancelled or acknowledged.  Likewise, the <incidents> element can be
used to link messages indirectly by their common reference to an
incident name or identifier.  Not sure if those are the sorts of
linking you had in mind.

>Finally, is there going to be a governing body that evaluates compliance
>with the standard?  Thanks in advance!

So far, as I understand it, the OASIS Emergency Management Technical
Committee has chosen not to take on a certification role.  It appears
possible that at some point in the future the Department of Homeland
Security might undertake that as part of a larger Emergency Data
Exchange initiative that's getting underway, but that's by no means
certain.  Right now compliance is being coordinated informally
through this discussion group, another one sponsored by the
Partnership for Public Warning, and among the members of the
Emergency Interoperability Consortium.

- Art