cgmo-webcgm-comment message

Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm-comment] Public Comment

I do not know of an implementation that will create a CGM NURBS element. Our
product, Tech Illustrator, will generate NUBS, but not NURBS.

Kevin O'Kane
Auto-trol Technology Corp.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cruikshank, David W [mailto:david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 4:35 PM
To: kgordon@docsoft.com
Cc: cgmo-webcgm-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Actually NUBS and NURBS are prohibited in the WebCGM Profile, but will
likely be permitted in the next version of the WebCGM Profile.

They are permitted in the Air Transport Association (ATA) GREXCHANGE Profile
and we, at Boeing, do use NUBS extensively in our technical illustrations
and export them into CGM.  Most of the products focused on creation and
maintenance of technical illustrations use either NUBS or Polybeziers.  We
have yet to identify a requirement in the application of technical
illustrations for NURBS, but would be interested in hearing about one.

Let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thank You,

Dave Cruikshank
Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange
Boeing Commercial Airplane
206.544.8876, fax 206.544.9590
david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com