Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] One more idea for WebCGM 2.0...

Dieter,

I'm unclear exactly what you are proposing.  Originally you said:

At 02:09 PM 7/5/2004 +0200, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
[...]
-----Original Message-----
From: Dieter Weidenbrueck [mailto:dieter@itedo.com]
Sent: Montag, 5. Juli 2004 10:35
To: CGM Open Technical Committee
Subject: [cgmo-webcgm] One more idea for WebCGM 2.0...

I suggest that we consider one more addition to WebCGM 2.0, which is the addition of a preview image in a separate picture.

ATA already allows for this, and I think it is a good thing to do. Users want to catalog CGM files in databases, and we are often
asked for thumbnails or preview images.

The picture could use a reserved name, e.g. "Preview Image".

Thoughts?

ATA allows "reduced resolution raster" images.  T.15.2 (ATA 2.9):
There shall be 1 illustration per metafile.
For reduced raster resolution images of first
picture additional pictures are allowed.
Reduced raster resolution images shall have
the picture identifier of the first picture con
catenated with the string RRn, where n is
the reduced resolution image number. For
symbol library metafiles, an unlimited
number of pictures is allowed.

How does your proposal differ from this?  I.e., what significant functional differences would justify defining a similar but different mechanism?  (Vendors:  does anyone implement this?).

As I understand ATA spec (2.9 quoted above), the naming mechanism for a lone raster thumbnail for 'myPicture' would be 'myPictureRR1', and that raster (TileArray) thumbnail would be the second picture.

Also I'd like to better understand Dieter's use case (which was in reply to Ulrich's "MetaWeb builds thumbnails on the fly" comment)...