Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM question

Hi All,

  I've attached 3 files (2 svg files and 1 html).  Save all three
  files somewhere and open viewers.html.  I'm using an SVG example
  since the same concept will apply for our WebCGM DOM.

  BTW, the wording of the spec should be changed; the 'name'
  attribute in xhtml has been deprecated... it has been replace with
  XML:ID.  Therefore, to address a specific 'object', a user should be
  referencing the unique 'id'.

  One I'm not a 100% sure about this part of the wording below:
  "However, the specific syntax for addressing a specific CGM in an
  HTML page is not standardized.", in my example I know that
  everything after "document." is completely standardized.  I just
  can't find where the W3C says that a global object called 'document'
  is the DOM entry point.

  Does this help?

  Cheers,

Monday, July 5, 2004, 7:27:07 AM, Dieter wrote:

DW> All,
DW>
DW> the WebCGM Recommendation says:
DW>
DW> 3.1.4 Addressing one of several viewers from HTML

DW> Often, applications will display several pictures in a single
DW> HTML page. The only way to address the cgm viewer instance that is
DW> responsible for the display of a particular picture is via the
DW> "object" tag defined in HTML 4.0. The CGM defined by the object
DW> tag can be uniquely addressed using the <name> parameter of the
DW> object tag. However, the specific syntax for addressing a specific
DW> CGM in an HTML page is not standardized.

DW> The Document Object Model (DOM) is currently under
DW> development. This work, when completed, is expected to provide a
DW> standard basis for addressing this problem.

DW> Question: How do we address this problem using the DOM as it is written in the spec?

DW> Comments?

DW> Regards,

DW> Dieter

one.svg