Subject: RE: Re[4]: [cgmo-webcgm] Re:

Lofton,

see below

I agree with Benoit.

>Because I think % is the simplest, conceptually, and requires the least
>knowledge of what are the actual VDC and other coordinate space details in
>the WebCGM instance.

This is not true. At some point you have to calculate the % values, and
you can do so only if you know the extent of the illustration.
Example:
If you want to establish a view_context, you can not simply guess where it
should go, you need to express this in precise coordinates. Once you have
those it is no problem to express these precise coordinates in percentages
of course, so it is an additional step.

>  When Dieter writes,
>
>At 04:57 PM 7/9/2004 +0200, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
>>[...]
>>To position a region/hotspot/view_context exactly, you will have to
>>express it relative to the absolute size of the VDC extent, i.e.
>>at some point you need to do the math to compute the %.
>
>Whereas, if you are using MM, then you are effectively using VDC.
>I.e., to
>use MM correctly, you will have had to get the VDC Extent and the metric
>Scale Factor, right?  The only thing you have done with MM is shifted the
>origin, and applied the scale factor to the VDC.
>
>So why not just use VDC?  (Which a lot of people seemed opposed to.)

Because VDC requires knowledge about VDC type, scaling mode etc to only
calculate a simple coordinate.

Cheers,
Dieter