Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] New draft snapshot

Lofton,

4.)  Substantive:
-----
setAttributeNS:  Why have this?  You said (below),

"- Added setAttributeNS().  We were able to set WebCGM attributes but
  not the non-WebCGM one."

What is an example usage scenario?  It would apparently be there for adding private (application metadata) attributes to private (application metadata) elements coming from XML Companion files.  Why?  In sec 1.1.b we say, "The WebCGM DOM could almost be perceived as a 'readonly' DOM. It is true that some methods on interfaces allow users to change an Application Structure style but, unlike the DOM Level 3 specification, it does not allow for removal or insertion of new Nodes into the object model."  The changing of APS styles is a transient effect for (graphical) viewing and interaction feedback.  The changes can't (apparently) be serialized into a changed WebCGM instance or changed XML Companion file -- this WDOM is not an authoring/editing facility.  So ... I don't understand the use case for this.

[DW] assume that ATA uses a namespace attribute ata:state_of_fuse in a wiring application. At runtime, they want to blow the fuse by clicking on it or similar.
To keep track of the change, they would want to use setAttributeNS on this attribute to set the new state.
In other words: If we want to set a screentip (which is a standard WebCGM attribute) at runtime, then people using their own namespace want to be able
to do the same with their attributes, for the same reason.

<snip>
Cheers,
Dieter