Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] New draft snapshot

At 10:15 PM 8/10/2004 +0200, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
Hi Lofton,

here is what we discussed,

Hmmm, was I at this meeting?  ;)

and what the DOM should reflect:

I guess I forgot these details (and the minutes do not have that level of detail).

This breakdown (following) should *definitely* be in the WebCGM document (assuming that everyone agrees that it's what we decided).

- Standard WebCGM objects are readonly (i.e. grobject etc)
    This means that no new grobjects will be created, even if they are found in the companion file.
    The purpose is to associate information with existing objects where possible.
- Standard WebCGM attributes are read/writeable (e.g. screentip)
    obviously
- Namespaced attributes on standard WebCGM objects are read/writeable
    see my explanation in last email

This is setting off some dimly remembered alarm.  Did we discuss constraints, to prevent against people sneaking private graphical attributes in here, on standard WebCGM objects?

- Namespaced objects can be created using a companion file but not the DOM
- Namespaced attributes on namespaced objects are read/writeable

So "no new nodes" means that no new grobjects will be created if information is found in the companion file that does not relate to any existing object in the CGM file.

I guess this is what the intention was,

Did we write it down anywhere, or was it on flip charts, or ... (i.e., is this memory record or written record?).

and again, the documents need to reflect this.

Definitely!

(In addition, it might be good to add some informative support for those above rules -- on the surface, and lacking background, they might strike one as odd choices.  Rationale and/or examples and/or use cases would be good.)

-Lofton.

Dieter