Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Required changes to IDL

I believe number 1 is the only viable option.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Benoit Bezaire [mailto:benoit@itedo.com]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 3:15 PM
To: CGM Open WebCGM TC
Cc: Ralf Berger
Subject: [cgmo-webcgm] Required changes to IDL

Hi all,

  I'm trying to generate a single complete IDL document (webcgm.idl).
  This exercise raises a few questions...  The IDL was obviously based
  on the W3C DOM and W3C SVG IDLs but we have some inconsistencies to
  resolve...

  We have the same definition as the W3C DOM Level 3 for DOMString and
  NodeList; but quite a number of differences for several
  interfaces such as Node, Attr, DOMStringList, Event etc...

  I'm wondering what to do about that?  I don't think it's a good idea
  for us to have a Node interface that is different from the W3C DOM
  Node interface while using the same name.  I think the group will get
  criticized for that.

  I believe we have three options:
  1) removing the name confusion by prefixing all datatypes and
  interfaces with "WebCGM"?  (ie; WebCGMString, WebCGMNode etc...)

  2) using DOM interfaces.

  3) ignoring the problem.

  My vote goes for 1) for the following reasons:
  - option 2 is unfortunately not really an option since we have
  demonstrated that the exact DOM approach is inappropriate for
  WebCGM.
  - ignoring the problem may be a possibility but creating a
  dependency on the W3C DOM by 'using' some of their datatypes and
  interfaces may be risky in the long run.
  - prefixing all datatypes and interfaces with "WebCGM" requires
  little effort from vendors in this early stage of development and in
  my opinion reduces confusion regarding the relationship of our DOM
  and other W3C DOM specifications.

  Comments on these changes would be appreciated.  Note: the complete
  IDL document (with the above changes) is attached to this email.

--
 Benoit                 mailto:benoit@itedo.com