Subject: RE: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM questions and implementation feedbac k

Title: RE: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM questions and implementation feedback

Still listening to you guys !!!

BB>>>   3) Since WebCGM only allows for restricted text elements, what is
BB>>>   the usefulness of changing the font-size? ie, it can't exceed the
BB>>>   box height?!

CDW>> This is a question that occurred to me when we initially
CDW>> talked about it in the Cleveland meeting.  Dieter was the one
CDW>> that introduced the change of font size.  I think the restricted
CDW>> text box ends up getting  in the same was as the character height
CDW>> does??

BBAGAIN> It would be good to hear what others think on this one?  The spec will
BBAGAIN>have to be very clear here.  Some options could be:

BBAGAIN> 1) Increase RTEXT BBox by percentage (but how to you place the new
BBAGAIN> box).
BBAGAIN> 2) Increase glyph size once layout algorithm is done based on original
BBAGAIN> values (but the glyphs would overlap)
BBAGAIN> 3) Determine text baseline according to original values, but compute
BBAGAIN> text layout based on new values (I think this one will give the best
BBAGAIN> result, but not sure.)

I am not the expert, but as a user I am too often facing issues with overlapping text that I will ot be in favour of any modification of the restricted text box, as it may affect the readability of the graphic. For me the correct behaviour is to increment the font size as requested and then compute text layout in the bounding box. I think it is your option 3. From a user point of view it is the safe way, and if the dummy user want a font increase that is not complying with the restricted box this will be his fault and only his. Maybe you can envision that your option 1 may be accessible through a user specification (like a boolean parameter to the function), but I am not sure the benefit will worth the effort to specify and implement correctly this feature.

Best Regards,

Franck DULUC
Technical Data Research Manager
Customer Services - SDND