Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM questions and implementation feedback

Title: RE: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM questions and implementation feedbac k
All,

First: I would not encourage the placement of text in a graphic, short single callouts, a number etc is fine.

Second: Font case changes should not be allowed by users,

-However size and color changes would/could promote greater screen readability (Option 2) using setStyleAttr?,
-Possibly in an unusal display environment with tailoring for Human facts?  Surely current tools to zoom and pan over areas for users are fine and many give us some of the functionality.  I am trying to come up with use cases?

Regards
Andrew

Andrew Moorhouse
CTS TD Graphics Policy and Advice, MoD UK
++44 141 224 2557, fax ++44 141 224 2142
td2d3@techinfo.mod.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: DULUC Franck [mailto:franck.duluc@airbus.com]
Sent: 27 August 2004 12:43
To: 'CGM Open WebCGM TC'

Dieter and all,

    Your sample is for the user the best cases they are facing: the restricted bounding box is well-defined and exactly matching the text, but it is not alwys like that ;-)

    You are right there are two cases : font changes and size changes; the most hazardous is for sure the font change use cases. Nevertheless, I think the complete user requirements (Dave? Andrew?, ...) is "being able to control this kind of effect" (that is what I propose with my boolean parameter).

    As a conclusion (for me), I will let the decision in the hand of my vendors and implementors that are at the end the people doing the work. Personnaly I will not encourage the use of such a feature, even if I understand the use cases; indeed I consider and try to promote that the readability on computer screen has to be considered when drawing (and therefore forgetting the paper publishing paradigm). Besides, many tools are implementing bird eyes and magnification that allows correct text reading for the user.

Regards,

Franck DULUC