Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Test suite

Hi Lofton,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I had a minor problem with my service
provider.

I've attached a test that I wrote a while back.  It is far from
perfect.  At the moment I'm using an HTML button to trigger the test.
I'm wondering if that is the best way.  Maybe a WebCGM button or
simply having an event listener on the onload... i dunno.  The test
file also contains too many tests in my opinion, it should be one
button per test file. Regarding your question on a 'how-to' document,
I think the group should write it.

These are things I'd like us to discuss, which will help us to
generate a 'how-to' document:
- How to start a test?
- What WebCGM source files should we use?  I don't think we should be
working with 50 or 100 different source files of else we'll never pass
the tests we write :)  We should probably work with a dozen files (at
the most).
- How does a user know if a certain viewer passed or failed a test?
- What to test?

Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 12:32:25 PM, Lofton wrote:

LH> Hi Benoit,

LH> I suggest we discuss on telecon...

LH> I think your proposed way forward sounds promising.  It is also our only
LH> proposal, which gives it front-runner status.  The 8-10 per person load
LH> seems low enough that it might actually get done.

LH> It would be interesting to make a handful of examples available (could you
LH> point to some for telecon discussion purposes?).  If possible, a template
LH> and/or how-to document would both encourage uniformity of contributions,
LH> and lower the hurdle of getting started (for those who haven't been doing
LH> it all along, as viewer developers).

LH> There are lots of other peripheral issues, such as how to organize,
LH> package, verify contributions, etc.  But these could be handled along the
LH> way, as we start to get some contributions.

LH> -Lofton.

LH> At 09:51 AM 1/7/2005 -0500, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>   I'm are wondering when members of the working group would be in a
>>   position to develop tests for the test suite? There's approximately
>>   65 methods and attributes in our current DOM. 65 * 5 node types give
>>   us around 325 different tests to verify.  Now that doesn't mean 325
>>   test files, a test file can look for more than one thing.
>>
>>   We need to share the work.  Everyone can participate in this task,
>>   even the folks who don't have a viewer.  On the group we have:
>>   Benoit, Dieter, Lofton, Kevin, Dave, Stuart, Ulrich, Forrest,
>>   Andrew, Don, Franck; so 11 participants in total.  That would
>>   mean around 30 checks/tests to perform per person, which might
>>   result in approx 8-10 test files per person.
>>
>>   How does that sound?  If people like the idea, I can divide the
>>   methods and attributes into sections (everyone will get one section).
>>
>>   Thoughts?
>>
>>--
>>  Benoit                 mailto:benoit@itedo.com

picture.xml