Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Changes to XCF chapters

At 02:35 PM 1/18/2005 -0500, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>[...]
>I don't want to complicate things, but I have to say that I don't like
>the passing of HTML code around without a repository.  I'm afraid we
>will loose work that way.  A check-in/check-out would be nice to have
>but we don't have one.  So my personal feeling on the matter is that
>there should be one person taking the wording (in plain text) and
>pasting it into the draft and doing the formatting.
>
>However, if I'm the only one thinking this way, I'll go along.
>
>A compromise might be to break the draft into several documents (one
>per chapter) and circulate those (i.e., they wouldn't circulate very
>much).  I dunno, it might be that breaking the spec into several
>documents is as much work as pasting the latest proposals into it.

Several parts would be my choice.  That is the way 1.0 was done,
right?  (Cover page w/ TOC, then separate files for each chapter.)
Unfortunately, the Kavi document repository system doesn't support that --
I asked the Web team and it can't be easily done.

(Well, we could put a cover page in Kavi, and it could reference the
individual chapters as individual Web pages in CGMO space, but then only
the Web team could update a page/chapter.)

>PS: It's not that I don't want to do the edits, it's that I don't like
>our primitive setup very much.

I agree.  I would prefer something better, like a multi-part document in a
CVS repository.  Maybe Dave knows more about the version control and
document features of Kavi?

>Thoughts?

I could simplify it by taking on Ch.5 at this point, and doing the
integration -- that would cut it down to two writers (eliminating Dave).  I
would like that you still "own" Ch.6, up until the time we publish the CD
text (before Munich).  Then I'll take over.  I can't take it all on now.

I'm completely open to better ideas.  But my search hasn't turned up a good
collaboration system, using standard OASIS tools (or even using an
off-OASIS CVS server somewhere.)

Proposals?