Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Questions

At 03:30 AM 1/20/2005 -0800, Cruikshank, David W wrote:

All,

See embedded comments:

Benoit Bezaire wrote on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 8:20 AM

Hi all,

  While reviewing chapter 5 of the latest spec, I came accross a few
  issues.  I wrote them down...

  a) Why are 'version' and 'filename' on the <webcgm> element
  #REQUIRED instead of #IMPLIED?

I don't completely remember but I think 'version' was not the CGM version, but the version of the WebCGM (file?) (spec?) (companion file?).

Agreed that CGM Version doesn't make sense.  I don't think "file" version makes sense either (I'm assuming you're referring to something like a CVS version of a given file instance).  So that leaves "spec" or "companion file".

Presumably "spec" means WebCGM specification version?  Then that would be equivalent to ProfileEd in WebCGM.  Since XCF is defined within the WebCGM (2.0) specification, would there be any difference between "spec" and "companion file"?  (Note:  there *could* be, if we wanted to choose an XCF version different from the WebCGM ProfileEd/spec version -- do we?)

Question:  if ATA or AECMA makes its own "cascaded" XCF, based on a standard WebCGM XCF, is there any recommended way for them to indicate in an XCF instance that it is an ATA-standard or AECMA-standard XCF, albeit WebCGM XCF derived?