Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Sample test page

At 07:26 AM 2/23/2005 -0500, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>[...]
>DL>   >   - We need to agree on the size (in pixels) of the CGM illustration,
>DL>   >   how big should we make it?
>
>DL>     512x512 seems reasonalble to me, e.g. 1/2 of the typical
>DL>     screen height.
>I think the test pages should fit into a 1024x768 display. So
>something a bit smaller than 1/2 sounds good (we have to take into
>account browser borders and separators). How about 480x360? (to
>maintain the aspect ratio).

Just to be clear ... we're talking about 'width' and 'height' attributes on
<object>, right?

I don't recall any discussion of the <param> child element, and its
attributes (for aligning, fitting, etc).  Has anyone implemented these
yet?  Should we avoid them in the DOM suite (but ... they ought to have a
test somewhere, right?).

>DL>   >   - Where should the reference image go? On the right side?
>
>DL>     Sounds ok.
>Ok.
>
>DL>   >   - What happens when a reference image is not required, like in this
>DL>   >   case?
>
>DL>     Leave it to test writer.
>We should probably agree on something, all pages should have the same
>structure.

I strongly agree with that.

>DL>   >   - What do people think?
>
>DL>     I would like to see a test name at the top of each test page.
>Good idea.

Are we able to list the potential components of a test page?

-- display of the CGM (result of processing <object>)
-- title
-- buttons to execute tests (always?)
-- reference image (only sometimes?)
-- text results (only sometimes?)
-- text instructions / operator script (sometimes?)

I guess the trick is that some bits are present always, some are present
sometimes, etc.  Are reference image and text results mutually exclusive,
or might some tests have both?

Anyway, a prescription for uniform layout of the potential test case bits
will be good for everyone (test authors, users, etc).