Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] for Wednesday telecon -- implementations

Sunday, March 6, 2005, 5:39:48 PM, Lofton wrote:

LH> Dave,

LH> I'm assuming that we're having a telecon Wednesday.  I want to suggest a
LH> topic.  Attending the W3C meetings in Boston, I had some talks with
LH> Chris.  We will likely get W3C's support to make WebCGM 2.0 a W3C
LH> Recommendation, as well as an OASIS Standard.
Good!

LH> WebCGM 2.0 would likely enter the W3C pipeline at Last Call Working
LH> Draft.
This makes sense in my opinion. I'm hoping for some feedback on the
specification.

LH> The next stage is Candidate Recommendation (CR).  We have to
LH> demonstrate two implementations of each feature to exit CR.
Yep.

LH> Here is the problem.  Instead of having something like 4-5 implementations
LH> that we expected, and that members committed to, we only have two that are
LH> showing any significant progress.  We could face a situation in the near
LH> future where insufficient implementation halts WebCGM advancement.
Unless Ulrich and I are lying about our implementation status, which I
doubt that is the case :-), we're not doing too bad.

LH> This would be extremely unfortunate, given all of the hard work
LH> that so many have put into this.
Yes it would. What I suspect will happen is that the specification
will be scale down a bit. For example, there are things for us that
are a higher priority than others, and I suspect Ulrich to have his
own list of priorities. The features that are high priority for both
of us are not at risk, but the other ones may be at risk. That's why
we need the test suite ASAP, to be able to compare.