Subject: The inherit value

Hi cgmo-webcgm,

  The 'visibility' and 'interactivity' attributes, currently only have
  values of: on | off.

  We think that's not sufficient. We should at least specify what it
  means _not_ to set the 'visibility' attribute. I wouldn't want
  authoring tools to set 'visibility' to true on all APS to make them
  visible. The default authoring tool behavior should be not to set
  the attribute, unless the user explicitly sets it to on | off.

  I think we've said (on calls or at FTF meetings) that if the
  attribute is not set, the APS is visible. Then my question is, what
  should be displayed in the following case:

  BEGAPS 'first'
    'visibility' off
    BEGAPS 'second'
    ENDAPS;
  ENDAPS;

  Do we see 'second' or not? I want the answer to be 'second' is not
  displayed. However, the spec as it is now, is underspecified and
  needs to be clarified.

  I would like for us to state that if 'visibility' or 'interactivity'
  is not specified, it's value is then 'inherit'. The CSS spec defines
  the 'inherit' property as: For a given element, the property takes
  the same computed value as the property for the element's parent.
  This would generate the result I'm looking for. If the group
  agrees with this, we then need to decide on something else...

  Should we allow to explicitly set 'visibility' and 'interactivity'
  to 'inherit? Yes or No?

  i.e., do we adopt this (A):
  Initial value: inherit
  Applies to: 'layer', 'grobject', 'para', 'subpara'
  Inherited: yes
  Value: on | off

  or this (B):
  Initial value: inherit
  Applies to: 'layer', 'grobject', 'para', 'subpara'
  Inherited: yes
  Value: on | off | inherit

  At Itedo, we think that the (A) is sufficient since we have the
  removeAppStructureAttr method.

  What do people think?

--
 Benoit                 mailto:benoit@itedo.com