Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: what does 'get..' return?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 10:09:58 AM, Lofton wrote:

LH> Hi WebCGM TC,

LH> I'm working on the DOM test case for ApsAttr 'viewcontext', and think that
LH> we ought to clarify something about the 'get...' methods.  Specifically I'm
LH> working with getAppStructureAttr, section 5.7.6 (but this probably applies
LH> somewhere else as well).

LH> Let's consider the case of 'viewcontext' first.  Section 3.2.2.2 says
LH> "Initial value: none", which is reasonable.  If I getAppStructureAttr on an
LH> APS where there is no explicit 'viewcontext' ApsAttr, then the answer
LH> should be "undefined" (see side-issue about "undefined" below).  This is
LH> the way DOM2 works, so we should stick with that unless we have a
LH> compelling reason to deviate.
I've been doing a bit more research on this... All DOM Level 1, 2 and
3 are very clear about the getAttribute() method (similar to
getAppStructureAttr), they all state that the return value is a
DOMString or an empty string if the attribute is not specified or
doesn't have a default (i.e., DTD) value.

Could you send us a pointer to the DOM 'undefined' concept?