Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Viewer Identification - One Question

At 02:21 PM 5/2/2005 +0200, DULUC, Franck wrote:
Hi all,

A question came up to my mind recently and I would like to get your thought on it.

We are nomarlizing, through this huge DOM effort, a lot of function calls.

Some viewers I know provide a function call allowing to get the identification of the viewer. Then comes my question: will itbe interesting to normalize this kind of function call?

I personnaly think yes, however I am not sure this is completly in the intention of the DOM and may also bring trouble when trying to put it somewhere in hte current draft.

Any thoughts?

Interesting question.  My thoughts...

I looked for precedents:

-- JavaScript defines the "Navigator object", which gives access to the name and version of the browser that is running the script.

-- DOM2 defines the hasFeature method, which tells you what features the DOM implementation supports (but does not identify the implementation).

-- SVG DOM similarly hasFeature method, but (AFAIK) no implementation-identification method or property.

I don't see any problem that such a JavaScript-like capability would cause in WebCGM DOM.  It wouldn't interact with any other WebCGM DOM features.  It would seem very simple to implement.  On the negative side, it **should not** be required (in a perfect world) that an application know what is the viewer!  Given that this isn't a perfect world, and not all viewers will behave completely and/or correctly, is this something that most application developers will want and need?

What do the implementors/vendors think?