Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Viewer Identification - One Question

Ben, Lofton, all,

I understand your point. It is completly true that there is a risk to enable behavios like the one you described with your small javascript sample. Maybe a function returning nothing but displaying the name of the plugin could be a workaround.

However as I said, I have no strong opinion. It was only one of this wonderful monday morning thoughts. ;-P

Regards,

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Benoit Bezaire [mailto:benoit@itedo.com]
Envoyé : lundi 2 mai 2005 20:01
À : CGM Open WebCGM TC

Hi Franck,

I don't have a strong opinion on this... You are asking for a
'getPluginVersion()' method, right?

Ideally, those are not suppose to be part of standards since we are
trying to avoid things like this:

if( getPluginVersion() == "a specific plugin" )
{
  do stuff...
}
else
  alert( "a specific plugin is required to view this page" );

On the other hand, all implementations have minor bugs and such a
function can be useful.

I think the question really is: Should this be a documented API or
not?

I have no opinion on the matter.